Lynn Sage Breast Cancer SymposiumBreast Cancer Achievement Awards Program
For Fellows and Residents
The Lurie Cancer Center invites fellows and residents to apply for the Breast Cancer Achievement Awards Program. A limited number of applicants will be accepted into the program, which will take place in conjunction with the 15th Annual Lynn Sage Breast Cancer Symposium (September 26-29, 2013 in Chicago).
The Breast Cancer Achievement Awards Program is an annual opportunity for residents and fellows to ascertain the latest clinical and scientific advances in breast cancer research through their attendance at the symposium. It is an unrivaled opportunity to collaborate with esteemed colleagues in the breast cancer field and meet breast cancer experts from around the world.
In addition to attending the main symposium sessions, the awardees will participate in a forum to discuss case studies contrasting the differences or similarities in the management of patients with various breast cancer disease states. Additionally, physicians from both the academic and private practice settings will present their experiences, recommendations, and guidance on the career paths available to residents and fellows.
- Identify the key issues that must be considered when deciding between oncology careers in the academic medicine practice versus the private practice.
- Describe how one will be judged as a “successful” clinician in both the academic medicine practice and private practice settings.
- Outline the differences and similarities of breast cancer research in the academic medicine practice and private practice settings.
- To provide residents and fellows with the opportunity to attend one of the most respected breast cancer meetings in the country.
- To provide an intimate atmosphere of learning and networking amongst peers in the field of breast cancer.
- To offer a unique perspective of the different career options available to residents and fellows.
- A limited number of awardees will be accepted through a competitive online application process.
- A letter of support from the applicant’s Program Director or Mentor must be received by the application deadline.
- Residents and fellows from the U.S. and abroad are encouraged to apply.
- The awards will be limited to first-time program participants.
- Applicants must demonstrate an interest in the field of breast cancer (hematology/oncology, surgery, radiation, pathology, etc.).
- Complimentary symposium registration fee.
- Hotel accommodations at the venue (or alternate location determined by the Lurie Cancer Center)*
- 4-night maximum;
- Non-local awardees only;
- Double occupancy in the hotel rooms. Staff will assign you to stay in a hotel room with another awardee of the same sex or alternatively, the Lurie Cancer Center will fund two nights of your stay in a private room.
- Symposium materials.
- Welcome Reception (Thursday, October 9, 2014).
- Awardee Breakfast Forum (required, Friday, October 10, 2014)
- Three breakfasts, lunches, and breaks each day at the symposium.
* Upon acceptance, awardees will receive specific instructions on how to book their travel and hotel.
Application Process and Deadline
The application deadline is August 7, 2014.